Punjabi is a hole in the wall with a bright green awning, so eat a slice of humble pie before walking in. It's very modest and the space gets cramped if more than about 5 people go in. I've found the clerks to be very friendly and personable and will meet your smile with one of their own.
All of their food is vegetarian. You pick a size container, order by number (1-6), put it over rice, and decide if you want them to microwave it for you. They also have samosas, pakora, and various sweets. The food is good value and it's another place that won't hurt your pocket. It's not for everyone, but it's worth a visit if you like Indian food and have an open mind. If you're further tempted, they sell CD's, movies, tea, and other groceries. Oh, and another little tidbit of info if needed is that they have a bathroom in the back.
I'm not a vegetarian by any stretch, but I always stop in for a meal here when I'm around the LES or driving back into the city from Brooklyn. It's worth it for the food alone and the genuine smile is the cherry on top.
114 E 1st St
(between 1st Ave & Ave A)
New York, NY 10009
Neighborhoods: East Village, Alphabet City
(212) 533-3356
No comments:
Post a Comment